Kalix Java/Scala SDK 1.0.9 released

This release introduces a brand new feature: brokerless service to service eventing.

This new feature allows a Kalix service to consume events producer by another, separately deployed, Kalix service without having to introduce a message broker in-between.

For an example of this new feature, see the documentation: Service to Service Eventing :: Kalix Documentation

The release also contains a number of smaller improvements, for the full list of changes see: Release Kalix Java and Scala SDKs 1.0.9 · lightbend/kalix-jvm-sdk · GitHub

1 Like

Right now I am working on the feature service to service eventing with the sample project provided by Kalix: Service to Service Eventing :: Kalix Documentation. How can I run these projects locally? I cannot run those two services at a time, I am getting -“Port already in use” error. Is there any way to change the port for the services? Please provide some instructions on how to run it locally.

Hi Makesh,

You can indeed configure in which port to run the your service by setting kalix.user-function-port.

Our suggestion in that case is to run one service as you normally would (user function in 8080 and proxy on 9000) and the other service on alternative ports, say kalix.user-function-port = 8081 and the proxy on port 9001. You can find an example docker-compose file with such config here.

Also, we are aware this info is missing from our docs, we will be improving that soon.

Edit: actually, we have a small reference here but will improve it.

Hey efgpinto,

Kalix followed the page, but it’s not clear exactly how to specify port number in Kalix.start(); do you have a code sample?

Thanks

To change on the start() would be something like:

public static void main(String[] args) throws Exception {
    LOG.info("starting the Kalix service");
    createKalix().start(
      ConfigFactory.parseString("kalix.user-function-port=8080")
        .withFallback(ConfigFactory.load()));
  }

However, I would probably advise to change it on the pom.xml. See this line on the sample mentioned above.

We’ll get the docs on this updated shortly.

1 Like

That’s great, thanks a lot @efgpinto